Friesian Timeline

Compiled by Laurie M. Bell, Education Committee

Following is a time-line of many interesting historical events related to the history of the Friesian horse, the places involved in their breeding, and the people important to their survival. It is by no means a complete work. More information and interesting stories may be found by studying the references cited at the end of this article. The accuracy of this time-line is based on the works cited.

1500- 1600 Arabian blood introduced to the horse that descended from Equus robustus, through Andalusian horses of Spain.
1526 Hungarian King Louis II used heavy Friesian horses in battle against the Turks.
1568 Etches by Stradanus, showing a Friesian stallion in the stables of Don Juan of Austria.
1624 Electoral Prince George William of Prussia imported Friesian horses.
1625 Friesian horses were being exported to New Amsterdam (the future New York City).
1664 The Dutch were forced to leave New Amsterdam to the English. The purebred Friesian horse was quickly lost.
1700’s Friesian sjees came into use. Built in the Rococo style.
1771 The stud at Kladrub imported Friesian horses.
1795 -1796 Ads in New York City newspapers speak of trotters of ‘Dutch’ descent.
1700-1800’s Friesians horses were popular as a trotting horse for short distances.
1823 King William I started horse races in Leeuwarden, to be held every successive year. This became known as the “King’s-Golden-Whip-Day” due to the prize.
1863 T Hasje born (Little Hare). She was a brown racing mare, later registered under #31.
1879 The studbook for the Friesian horse was started in Roordahuizen. It was called “The Horse Studbook.” At this time, the question of crossbreeds was answered with two registration books – Book A for Friesians (purebred horses from Friesland); Book B for crossbreeds. Jhr. Mr. C. van Eysinga became one of the sponsors of the association, and served as Chairman of the Board of the FPS from 1879 until 1906. Thirteen stallions were judged, 10 mares were entered in Book A, and 1 mare was entered in Book B.
1881 T. Cribb & Sons founded their London based funeral business with a Friesian stallions. During the Victorian days, more than 700 Friesian horses were employed in the funeral business in the area of London alone. They were known as ‘Belgium Blacks’ since they came to London through Antwerp in Belgium.
1882 Jeanne B registered in Book-B. She was the ancestor of the oldest Friesian mare pedigree- #1.
1883 The stallion, Graaf Adolf 21, was approved. His owner was H. J. Seekles.
1883 The mare Keesje was registered in the studbook with #101. She was owned by Jan Piers van der Sluis in Hemrik. Jan bred 4 studbook stallions: Friso 48, Gambetta 52, Leo 86, and Frits 95. Frits 95 went on to breed 100’s of mares, mostly after 1906.
1883 – 1896 The studbook opened to the registration of horses from the provinces of Groningen & Drenthe. Due to this, the studbook name was temporarily changed to “Inland Horse” instead of Friesian Horse.
1884 The Internal Agricultural Exchange in Amsterdam showed some unintentional shortcomings in the Friesian breeding. According to their research, the Friesian horse was not the best breed for producing work or army horses. Only 21 Friesians were acquired by the army that year. Most farm or army horses were chosen from Oldenburg stock.
1885 Jhr. Mr. C. van Eysinga established his studfarm in Huisterheide. He and a partner stood the Friesian stallion Graaf Adolf 21. The studfarm became known es ‘se Oorsprong,’ (The Origin).
1886 De Regent 32, 3 years old, was approved in Groningen. The owner, Scholten, set a record of 3 min. 6.4 sec per mile in trotting races. But the trends in Groningen were for a heavier Oldenburg breed and thus crossbreeding took place.
1889 Radboud 67 became the last of only 5 brown Friesian stallions approved for the registry. The other four were David 11, Keizer 18, Minister Thorbecke 34 [one source includes Membrino] and Bruno 38.
1889 – 1909 Public interest in the Friesian horse waned along with the sudden rise in popularity of the ‘Bovenlandse Paard’ (the Oldenburg-East Friesian horse). There were 19 available Friesian stallions in Friesland in 1889, 6 in 1899, and 6 in 1909.
1890 De Oorsprong reached a total of 60 horses.
1891 The last golden whip was awarded by H.M. Queen Regent Emma.
1892 Davidji 1080, a brown studbook mare, was born. She was the daughter of DePaauw 1 and the originator of the mare stammer 50 & 53.
1894 De Regent 32 was sold to De Oorsprong. The period between 1894 and 1905 became known as the “glory days” at De Oorsprong.
1894 A number of Friesian stallions were sold to England after only 1-2 years of breeding in the Netherlands.
1895 More than 8,000 horses were imported into the Netherlands, mainly from North America and Canada. Mechanization in the New World made these horses surplus. The result in the Netherlands, and elsewhere, was much crossbreeding.
1896 Groningen & Drenthe broke off from the studbook. Friesland’s studbook became the ‘Friesian Horse Studbook’ with two registries, the ‘Inlands Ras’ and the ‘Buitenlands of Gekruistras.’ The latter registry became the ‘Bovenlands Ras’ (breed of the Northern Provinces).
1899 Alva 113 was born at De Oorsprong. He lived 16 years, dying in 1915.
1900 Jan Piers van der Sluis’s brother, Engbert, built a villa called ‘Het Koetskuis’ (the Coach House) in Hemrik and established a breeding station with 25 horses, including Ulbe 100, Pier 106 and Prins 109.
1902 Only 15 Approved Friesian stallions left standing in Friesland, 5 of them at De Oorsprong. This was Regent 32’s last year at de Oorsprong. Also standing there were: Drenthe I 91, Sultan 105, Pluto 108 and Alva 113. Crossbreeding experiments produced disappointing results time and again; the matches only resulted in average market horses of the time.
1902 The Stallion Association in Kimswerd was founded in order to buy Prins 109.
1905 Jippe Bouma in Terwispel bought the 12 year old Frits 95 from Jan Piers van der Sluis. He stood for station Bouma until his death in 1912.
1907 The studbook lost the distinction between the ‘Inlands Ras’ and ‘Bovenlands Ras.’ The decision was made to register both the Friesian horse and the Bovenlandse Paard in one studbook. This has been attributed to the prevalent fashion of crossbreeding. In order to counter this, Jan Timmer of Kimswerd proclaimed a “wake-up call” to preserve the Friesian horse.
1911 Jan Wilke Hoogterp in Deersum bought the 4 year old registered mare, Irma 2708, daughter of Aaron 114. She had a colt in 1918 (sire Paulus 121) named Vredestichter (Peacemaker). Irma was also the mother of Arend 131 and the model mare Clasina 1409.
1913 Jan Jentjes de Vries from Ypecolsga bought the 4 year old mare, Prinses. Her dam was unregistered and her sire was Prins 109. She became the patriarch of Line 19 in the Merriestammen, the line known as the “de Vries Line.” Her colt became the studbook stallion Theunis 125. Her daughter, Simontje (sire Danillo) became model-preferent. Simontje 1328 was the dam of approved stallion Obscurant 150.
1913 This year saw an alarming statistic – only 3 Approved Friesian stallions remained: Prins 109, Alva 113 and Friso 117. No young stallions had been registered since 1907. Jhr. Mr. C. Van Eysinga became one of the initiators of the association Het Friesche Paard, “The Friesian Horse” association. Concerned breeders and admirers gathered to decide on what action to take to preserve the breeding. The association worked with the studbook and encouraged breeding by buying promising young stallions and awarding the best with premies.. The association soon bought the stallion Paulus. Paulus 121 went on to become the patriarch of all current Friesian stallions. He was the father of Vredestichter 127 and Arend 131.
1915 At the request of Het Friesche Paard, the studbook reopened two registration books – Book A for the Friesian horse and Book B for the Bovenlandse Paarden.
Not one Friesian stallion had been approved since the year 1907, when the books combined. The Friesian horse had obtained separate books in the studbook and a period of prosperity for the horses lasted approximately 50 years.
1915 This year marked the first time in 10 years that a Friesian stallion was again approved for the studbook. Kornelis Wobbe van der Sluis in Lippenhuizen bought the 3 year old Oom (sire Alva 113). Oom became known as the stallion with “two numbers.” Oom became the first stallion in 10 years to be approved and registered in the studbook. His number was 373, but the Northern horses began to be registered separately again, so Oom took on a new number – #119.
1916 The Friesian Horse Association bought the 3 year old Paulus 121 (sire Friso 117). He played an important role in transforming the carriage horse to a lighter farm horse. Approximately 34 registered mares remained in the studbook.
1918 The studbook ended registration of brown Friesian mares.
1918 The number of registered Friesian mares increases to 166.
1918 – 1920 De Oorsprong and the Eysinga family cooperated with the director of the Univ. Of Agriculture in Wageningen, Prof. L. Broekema, on crossbreeding experiments. The research conclusion was that only crosses with breeds very close to the Friesian horse were advisable.
1920 Prins 109 sold to Jippe Bouma. At this time Prins was one of the “big four,” including Frits 95, Alva 113 and Friso 117.
1927 Station Bouma stood the 3 year old Danillo 137 (sire Vredestichter 127). Breeding fees were about 5-6 guilders per mare. Jippe Bouma almost went bankrupt in the depression years, but managed to move his station to Oudeschoot.
1927 Jhr. Mr. C. Van Eysinga passed away at De Oorsprong.
1928 The studbook had regained in strength. Eight registered stallions bred 358 mares.
1928 The stallion Held 140 Pref. was out of an inbreeding between Arend 131 to his full sister, Clasina.
1928 The last brown Friesian mare was registered in the By-Book, Nelly 90H.
1929 The first pamphlet was published on the Friesian horse by Het Friesche Paard.
1930 De Oorsprong went out of business. The oldest mare stem, Jeanne 6B, started here.
1934 Obscurant was born to the mare Simontje (sire Danillo) at Station de Vries. He became the studbook stallion #150.
1935 The approved stallion Cremer was rejected for the studbook. Some maintained it was due to his large numbers of midget foals, or that his offspring had a high percentage of roan. Cremer continued to breed to unregistered mares and his offspring were known for having white hairs all over their bodies.
1935 Klass F. Jansma owned the stallion Mengelberg 145. He also, later, owned Geert 184 who was sold to South Africa when he was 11 years old.
1938 A split within the studbook occurred. The Friesian horse got a board of their own within the studbook. This was another step toward the Friesian horse obtaining its very own studbook specifically for Friesians (in 1943).
1938 Station Bouma adds the stallion Okke 151, but he later was rejected by the studbook in 1940. They lost the stallion Yntel30 in 1940. Consequently they purchased Plutus 156, but his prominence in breeding was past, apparently due to the popularity of Obscurant 150.
1939 – 1949 Membership triples in the FPS. The use of the horse on the farm helped the studbook registrations.
1939 The Circus Strassburger was founded. Friesian horses were used for various performances.
1941 The stallion Mengelberg 145 came close to death at the judging; he was fed 12 eggs, twice daily, prior to the judging. The trend of the time was to show the horses very heavy.
1941 The Association of Stallion-Keepers in Friesland was founded. The Stallion Keepers applied annually to the studbook and no Stallion-Keeper could stand a stallion within a 15km area of another.
1942 Lammert E. Huijing began 40 years of service to the studbook, first as a clerk, and then in 1958, as the secretary/treasurer.
1943 Breeders of non-Friesian horses left the studbook to join the NWP (Warmblood Studbook of Friesland, Groningen and Drenthe).
1944 Jippe Bouma of Station Bouma passed away. His son, Anne Bouma, had already taken over. The stallion Danilo 137 (age 20) drove Jippe to his last resting place.
1944 Obscurant 150 died of a blood disease. The Station de Vries acquired the colt Aize (Aize 170), whose sire was Obscurant.
1945 The 3 year old Age 168 was approved and stood for Jan Pasma in Akkrum. Age 168 gave 200 daughters and almost went preferent, except for a pre-potency to a weak hind leg. It wasn’t long before members talked of the ‘Age-Line.’ Both the ‘Age-Line’ end the ‘Tetman-Line’ originated with Jan Pasma.
1949 Queen Juliana became Patroness of the FPS. Following WWII, German horses no longer crossed the border to become field horses. This caused the breeding of the Friesian horse to lean toward heavier individuals for use in the grass fields. These horses were often smaller in height. Approved stallions undertook an obligatory performance test, mainly for the benefit of mare owners.
1950’s Examinations of a stallion’s offspring and performance was conducted on a regular basis. The Friesian horse began to loss ground in its primary role – that of a farm horse. Mechanization increased. The numbers of Friesian horses dropped along with the numbers of members.
1951 The association, The Friesian Horse, lasted to this point. It has been credited with saving the Friesian horse from extinction.
1951 Station Bouma tried to regain ground with the Obscurant son, Bouke 174, Noldus 198 and Ritske 202.
1952 Breeding Associations were founded in Friesland and they held their own regional judgings. The Committee of Recommendation included the FPS secretary, Huijing, Arnoldus de Groot, Jeen Jansma, Jan Jansma and Geert Geerligs. These breeding clubs included: ‘It Fryske Hynder,’ ‘It Fryske Greidhynder,’ ‘Het Friese Paard’ and ‘Ta it Bihald.’
1954 The Studbook celebrated its 75th anniversary in Joure and it received the ‘Royal’ title in the presence of H.R.H. Princess Beatrix.
1955 The club ‘Het Friese Tuigpaard’ (the Friesian Driving Horse) was founded. Riding and driving competitions were more popular and the regional clubs gradually took over their running from the FPS. One popular such event was the Tilting-at-the-Rings events.
1956 The Model Pref. Mare, truus 4316, was born. She was the mother of Dagho 247 and Naen 264.
1957 Nuttert 200 was approved. He was from the de Vries Line, line 19.
1957 “The Phryso” reported that Rouke de Hoop in Huisterheide, and Klass F. Jansma in Heeg were appointed trader/exporters for the FPS in connection with exports to Germany and South Africa. Friesian horses were exported to South Africa to improve the ‘Flemish horse’ (het Vlaamse Paard).
1958 Lammert E. Huijing was appointed secretary/treasurer of the FPS.
1960 Noldus 198 exported to South Africa. Ritske 202 became a dominant FPS stallion.
1960 The Friesian sjezen obtained their own registry with the founding of the ‘Frysk Seaze Stamboek.’
1960 Books on the Friesian horse begin to be published, for example, Het Friesche Paard.
1962 Lutsen 192 exported to South Africa.
1963 The quadrille was driven for the first time. This was a performance of eight Friesian ‘sjezen’ driven to complex choreography.
1964 Tetman 205 and Nuttert 200 rejected for the Studbook. They were lunged on three legs for their test.
1964 R. Geurts published The Friesian Horse – The Most Important Mare-Stammen [title in English].
1967 A board member stripped his Friesian mare of her breed characteristics (mane and feathering). The jury of the day made the mare a “ster.” Fans of the Friesian horse felt this was a crime and before the end of the year, the board promised never to do so again, as it might open the door to crossbreeding.
1967 Money problems plagued the Studbook. A study group, ‘Werkgroep Instandhouding Friese Paard,’ was founded to look at the preservation of the Friesian horse. C. Van Eysinga served as chairman. Press coverage was there for the “crusade to save the Friesian horse.” The 3 year old stallion Mark led the week-long parade of horses from Workum through the province of Friesland. Cees Faber, of De Oorsprong, served as the leader of this effort. He was also an inspector for the FPS. He promoted the need to breed for versatility while keeping the breed characteristics.
1968 Decreased public interest in Studbook judgings led to the decision to conduct foal judging on Breeding Days. The Breeding Day took on a festive tone. Registration of foals, judging for the studbook, and judging of 1-2 year olds took place at these Breeding Days.
1969 Mrs. E. Kortenhagen-van Til of Breukelen, known as Tante Bets (Auntie Bets), drove her first Friesian four-in-hand. Others soon followed. The Anniversary Keuring held special classes for fans and owners of Friesian horses to highlight their use for other than farm work.
1969 R. Geurts published his thesis: “Genetic Analysis and Structure of the Breeding of the Friesian Horse,” while at the University of Utrecht Medical School. [Title in English].
1970 Anne Bouma owned 8 of the 20 FPS Approved Stallions. His stallions, Wessel and Tsjalling, were used by the Veterinary Faculty in Utrecht to work on AI. Wessel 237 Preferent was the first Friesian stallion to breed AI.
1972 The owner of Ygram (Ygram 240) received a request from the FPS to show his stallion at the keuring because there were not enough stallions attending. During this time, stallion keeping was a loosing proposition, so many potentially great breeding horses were lost to the studbook.
1974 The breeding club, ‘Het Friesche Paard-Midden Nederland,’ was founded.
1974 Thomas Hannon, Canton, Ohio, purchased Friesian horses to be transported via ship across the Atlantic. More Friesian horses were imported in 1975 and 1977.
1977 Although purchased months prior to shipment, Frank Leyendekker had the airline, KLM, design and build crates for the horses to travel in. Laes (278) arrived in this first shipment.
1977 Bouwe 242 was sold to Tom Hannon and was imported to the U.S.
1977 The regional group ‘Het Friesche Paard-Nord Holland’ was formed.
1978 The regional group ‘De Groningen Drenthe Combinatie’ was formed.
1978 Herman Kiesrra took four Friesian mares and the Friesian stallion Bjinse 241 to Inverness Scotland.
1978 The studbook closed to horses of partly unknown descent. From this year on, starting with the stallion Dagho 247, all Friesian stallions underwent testing on the quality of their offspring from their first 4 breeding seasons. This re-instituted an earlier practice that hadn’t been maintained consistently for over 10 years.
1979 The German association, “Friesenverband,” was started.
1979 The Studbook celebrated its 100th year anniversary in Leeuwarden on ‘Kokedei’ (Cow-Day).
1979 Approved stallion, Hindrik 222, who was withdrawn from breeding in 1971, was exported to the United States.
1980 The regional group ‘Het Friesche Paard -Zuid Nederland’ was formed.
1980 The 15 km restriction in the working areas of stallion keepers comes to an end.
1980 The young stallions Oepke 266, Oege 267, and Peke 268 were the first to graduate from the newly instituted 50 day stallion test held in Ermelo. This first year was a trial, and it was determined that this test was positive for the breeding. Prior to 1980, the approved stallions had to participate in tests that mainly consisted of pulling a sledge, a plow or a farm wagon with increased weights.
1981 The FPS presented Queen Beatrix with two Friesian geldings and the Royal Stables purchased more. Since this year the Friesian horses were used in the parade on every ‘Prinsjesdag,’ the opening of the Dutch Parliament.
1981 Cees Faber resigns as an inspector and passes away one year later.
1982 The FPS gave Lammert E. Huijing a farewell party on his retirement.
1982 Frank Leyendekker, Visalia, California, traveled to Friesland to discuss with the FPS secretary, L. E. Huijing, the possibility of having the FPS judge Friesian horses in North America.
1983 The pivotal movie, Ladyhawke was filmed (copywrite: 1985 Warner Bro. & Twentieth Century Fox, USA). It starred Rutger Hauer of the Netherlands, Michelle Pfeiffer, and of course, the Friesian stallion, Othello. Othello was a circus performer for Manuela Beeloo, his owner. His sire was Ritske 202 and his dam was Paulowna, ster (s. Gerke). Othello retired in 1994 with a final performance at the FPS stallion keuring.
1983 The first meeting to organize the Friesian Horse Association in the U.S. was held in Visalia, California. Attendees: F. Leyendekker, F. DeBoer, D. Dunnink, J. Botma, J. Mellott, R. Humason.
1983 Sander 269 imported to the U.S. He passed the 50 day Performance Test in Ermelo in the fall of 1981.
1983 The stallion Laes had his keuring for registration as an approved stallion and his offspring inspection at the same time. He was approved for both and given the number 278. From this point on all stallion candidates in North America also had to undergo the same procedures as in The Netherlands.
1984 The DeBoer’s purchased the stallion, Barteld (Naen 254) in 1984.  He was approved for the studbook in 1986.
1986 Laes 278 sold to Case and Evelyn van der Groef, Sussex, New Jersey
1986 Fred and Fran hekstra purchased the newly approved stallion Daen 286.
1988 Mr. Piet de Boer set a world record with a team of 21 Friesian horses hitched to an English Road Coach in Peterborough, England.
1988 The Approved Stallion Frans 289 was sold and imported to the U.S. He passed his offspring inspection in 1991.
1988 The Spring Breed Classic USET Benefit Show at he Los Angeles Equestrian Center included participants Fred DeBoer and Family, with their Friesian horses; John Koster and Family, with their Friesian horses; and Grand Marshall, Rutger Hauer, movie star from the Netherlands.  Fred DeBoer presented Rutger Hauer with a Friesian horse for what he had done to promote the breed in the movie Ladyhawke(c).
1989 The 110th Anniversary of the Royal Association ‘Het Friesch Paarden Stamboek.’ The studbook became the second largest studbook in the Netherlands and published promotional, multi-language, brochures.
1989 The voluntary tongue-tattooing became mandatory.
1989 HRH Prince Philip invites Mr. Piet de Boer to break the record DeBoer set previously driving 21 horses.  On July 18, DeBoer drove 22 Friesian horses into the Peterborough stadium pulling his London-built Mail Coach.
1989 Early FHANA meetings were often held in conjunction with the Pomona Fair in one of the barns (California). The membership directory in this year is the first recognized published record of membership and horse ownership, a “who’s who” of pioneering breeders and lovers of Friesian horses. The directory recorded a total of 117 members.
1989 In order to highlight the versatility and charisma of the breed, Case and Evelyn van der Groef started sponsoring Friesian classes at the Sussex County Fair in Augusta, New Jersey. Horses came from California, Ohio, Michigan, Kentucky, Maryland and Canada.
1989 By 1989 there were a total of 41 Friesian horses in Canada. The total numbers of Friesians in the US was 296.
1990 The first Friesian inspection in the Chicago area was held in 1990.
1991 There are 10 Approved Stallions in North America: Bouwe 242, Sander 269,  Tjimme 275, Laes 278, Bendert 281, Daen 286, Frans 289, Barteld 292, Jildert 299, and Ids 300.
1991 The KFPS board decided to cancel the pulling test in the Central Examination for stallions.
1992 FHANA discontinues the breeding of foalbook stallions
1992 All Fillies foaled in North America had to be blood type tested in order to be registered.
1992 Fred and Fran Hekstra purchased the approved stallion Ludse 305. Ludse passed offspring approval in 1996 and later returned to breed in Europe.
1992 The stallion Lukas was approved and received the number 324. He was born on the Mellott farm in Mountain Center, California and sired by Sander 269. Lukas was approved on offspring in 1999.
1993 Fillies and their dams had to be blood typed tested for registration.
1994 All horses presented for inclusion in the studbook receive a linear score sheet.
1995 North American born Pilgrim 336 was approved in the Netherlands.
1996 Wander 352 was approved in the North America.
1996 Melle 311 was imported to North America
1997 Horses registered in the foal book in 1997 and later received microchips with electronic identification codes. This microchips were implanted on the horse’s left side of its neck. The horse’s electronic identification code was included on the horse’s registration paper.
1997 DNA replaces blood type testing because of its greater reliability.
1997 The Central Examination is extended from 50 days to 70 days with the first 3 weeks being an adjustment period for the stallions.
1998 Ouke 313 was imported to North America.
2000 The Central Examination changed again to 8 segments. The walk-trot-canter portion count double for the end score. The pulling test becomes the sleigh test and character. The stall behavior and training report are no longer scored.
2000 Feike 395 was imported to North America.
2001 Approved stallions are tested for the red gene.
2001 Anne 340 and Jorrit 363 were imported to North America.
2002 In 2002, total FHANA memberships stood at 1,419 and there were 4,970 horses in the database.
2002 Goffert 369 and Teade 392 were imported to North America.
2003 Erik 351, Sibald 380 and Fridse 423 were imported to North America.
2004 Anton 343 and Heinse 354 were imported to North America.
2004 North American born Doaitsen 420 was approved in the Netherlands.
2006 Gerryt 360, Maiko 373, and Nanning 374 were imported to North America.
2007 One of the remarkable achievements of our association was the development of the stallion approval process in North America, with the only KFPS affiliate testing outside of the Netherlands. This approved testing site was DG Bar Ranch in Hanford, California, where stallions undertook the 70-day Central Proving Program.
2007 Michiel 442 was approved at the North American Stallion Testing in Hanford, CA.
2007 Gradus 356, Mintse 384  and Ulbert 390 were imported to North America.
2008 Lolke 371 and Brend 413  were imported to North America.
2009 FHANA celebrates 25 years of representing the KFPS Friesian Horse in North America and holds the 25th Anniversary Horse Show in Reno, NV.
2009 FHANA Hall of Fame was established with nine members inaugurated. The nine members were: Frank Leyendekker, Harry Witteveen, Fred Hekstra, Fred De Boer, Robert and Arlene De Boer, John and Anita Mellot, and Pier van der Hoek.
2009 Maeije 440 was imported to North America.
2010 A recurrent issue over the years has been the BBook II. Discussion within the membership and Board of Directors visited many points, pro and con. Voting this year decided to keep the BBook II closed in North America.
2010 Monte 378  and Sape 381 were imported to North America
2010 Tonjes 459 was approved in North America.
2011 BBook II voting by the membership of FHANA again resulted in the BBook II remaining closed.
2011 The IBOP, “Instelling Bruikbaarheld Onderzoek voor Paarden en Ponys,” test was established in North America. This is the Friesian Horses’ Suitability Examination. This allowed Friesian breeders and owners increased opportunities for recognition, similar to that offered to Friesians in the Netherlands.
2011 Wybren 464 was approved in North America.
2011 Laurie Kasperek was inducted into the FHANA Hall of Fame.
2011 Uwe 458 was imported to North America
2012 Judi Knapp was inducted into the FHANA Hall of Fame.
2012 Tjalbert 460 was imported to North America.
2013 Alert 475, Bene 476, and Date 477 were approved at the North American Stallion Testing in Hanford, CA
2013 Andries 415 and Hedser 465 were imported to North America
2014 The FHANA Board of Directors achieved the opportunity for members in North America to access the ABFP tests, “Algemene Bruikbaarheidstest voor Friese Paarden.” This is the general test of use ability of Friesian Horses. Sipke 450 was the first stallion in North America to have his offspring complete the ABFP in 2014. The ABFP was started in Hanford, California, and then in Michigan in 2015.
2014 Jisse 433 was imported to North America
2015 FHANA adopts a new logo. The original shield logo was adopted early in FHANA’s history and the new logo was designed to reflect aspects of the new KFPS logo and to recognize our affiliation with the KFPS, while seriously updating its impact. The original shield logo was incorporated within the new logo.
2015 Julius 486 was approved at the North American Stallion Testing in Hanford, CA.
2015 Jesse 435 and Tjaarda 483 were imported to North America.
2016 The FHANA Central Mare Show became a reality, a difficult feat for the Board of Directors due to the vast size of North America. The first Central Mare Show invited First Premium Star, Crown, and Model mares to the Champion’s Expo Center in Springfield, Ohio.
2016 Norbert 444 was imported to North America
2017 Hessel 480 was imported to North America
2018 The FHANA Board of Directors implemented the Star mare Genetic Testing Policy for carrier status of hydrocephalus and dwarfism.
2018 The Royal Society of the Friesian Horse Studbook numbers over 11,000 members in over 80 countries with a total of 70,000 registered horses.
2018 Thorben 466 was imported to North America
2019 All breeding stock required to be tested for hydrocephalus and dwarfism.
2019 Uldrik 457, Djoerd 473, Haike 482, and Meinte 490 were imported to North America.
2019 Scott Kelnhofer and Klaas Wiersma were inducted into the FHANA Hall of Fame.
2019 FHANA celebrates 35 Years of representing the KFPS Friesian Horse in North America. The gathering was at the Calnash Ag Event Centre in Ponoka, Alberta Canada
2019 FHANA established a Mare Show East and West. A champion was crowned from both locations.
2020 Sjouke 453 and Wolfert 467 were imported to North America.
2020 Due to the COVID-19 Pandemic, FHANA members participated in three virtual shows where members could show their horses and farms virtually through the use of Zoom, a video conference application, and video recordings.

 

REFERENCES

  1. Bouma, G.J.A. UA Short History of the Friesian Horse and the Original Friesian Studbook,” Het Friese Paard. Friese Pers Boekerij b.v. Drachten, Leeuwarden, NL. 1979. English translation: FHANA website, 1997.
  2. Dijkstra, Eelke. Friese Stamhengsten Deel 1. Koninklijkevereniging’Het Friesch PaardenStamboek’ te Drachten. 1996. English translation: Tee’s translations, 1998.
  3. Dijkstra, Eelke. Friese Stambengsten Deel 2. Koninklijkevereniging’Het Friesch PaardenStamboek’ te Drachten. 1996. English translation: Tee’s translations, 1998.
  4. Douma, A.KW. Paarden van Eigen Bodem – Het Friese Paard in Kort Bestek. Koninklijkevereniging ‘Het Friesch Paarden-Stamboek’ te Drachten. 1994.
  5. Friesian Horse Association of North America. UOthello – Phryso translation, July 1996,” The Friesian, Nov., pg 15. 1996.
  6. Geurts, Dr. R. Merriestammen uan Het Friese Paard Deel 1. Het Friesch Paarden-Stamboek, Drachten. 1997.
  7. KLM/FHANA. “Friesian Horse Extravaganza II” Show Program. Friesian Horse Club of Southern California. 1997.
  8. Koninklijke Paarden FPS 110 Jaar. Koninklijkevereniging ‘Het Friesch Paarden-Stamboek’ te Drachten. 1990. English translation: Tee’s translations, 1998.
  9. Leyendekker, Frank. Personal recollections. 1999.
  10. The Next Ten Years! FHANA Major Moments 2010-2019, Laurie M. Bell, 2019.
  11. Historical Developments, Feline Minkeme-de Jonge, 2004.
  12. Friesian Fever, Petra van den Heuval for Driving Digest, 1990.
  13. FHANA 25th Anniversary Program, 2009.
  14. History of the Friesian Horse, KFPS website. 2020.
  15. The Friesian Horse, KFPS/ Phryso. 2020
  16. Developments in Linear Scoring, Hermien Wierdsma, 2002

The Friesian Magazine

The Friesian magazine is a quarterly publication. If you are interested in "Everything" Friesian, then you won't want to miss this opportunity to order the Friesian magazine.