The FHANA Lifetime Achievement Award
FHANA’s Friesian Lifetime Achievement Award program mirrors its Hall of Fame program. The FHANA Lifetime Achievement Award, established in 2020, may be given annually to Friesian horses with a performance career that has greatly contributed to the advancement and promotion of the Friesian breed. The Lifetime Achievement Award will be awarded to recognize contributions over the whole of a career, rather than a single contribution, or a single performance season.
The FHANA Lifetime Achievement Award acknowledges Friesian horses and their owners, who actively strive to educate the public, improve the horses, enhance the public image, and highlight the versatility of this magnificent breed. The FHANA Lifetime award program is approachable and realistic for every FHANA horse in every stage of its career by recognizing any activity, including, but not limited to keurings, breeding, demonstrations, exhibitions, and performance events. Any public event where the horse is featured will qualify to appear on the award record application.
Recognizing a horse for the Lifetime Achievement Award, includes many steps, so when candidates are placed into nomination, the nomination must be approved on several levels to ensure that we only recognize the most worthy horses for their accomplishments.
The Lifetime Achievement Award Mission Statement
Earning the FHANA Lifetime Achievement Award is the highest honor bestowed upon a Friesian Horse here in North America. It is reserved for FHANA/KFPS registered horses that, through countless hours of showing performance and/or breeding achievement, have touched the lives and hearts of many, as well as exemplified the Friesian breed throughout its lifetime. The FHANA Lifetime Achievement Award will forever memorialize these outstanding horses and their accomplishments. In honoring these horses we also acknowledge their owner(s) who have shared their beautiful Friesian horse with the community, contributing unselfishly to our association.
The Lifetime Achievement Award Eligibility/Criteria
1. The program is open to all KFPS/FHANA registered horses.
2. The nominee must be living at the time of its nomination.
3. The horse’s owner must be a current FHANA member who has owned the horse for a minimum of 1 year. At least one owner of record must be a member of FHANA.
4. Horses must have a minimum of 10 years of documented accomplishments in, but not limited to, sport, exhibitions, demonstrations, breeding and/or keurings and have had a significant impact on a large number of individuals and organizations.
5. The award can only be received once.
6. Event participation/performance will stay with the horse throughout its lifetime, regardless of rider, driver, or owner.
The Lifetime Achievement Award Procedure
1. Two applications will need to be submitted: 1) the Nomination Application by a FHANA member and 2) the Horse’s Achievement Record by its owner. All applications may be submitted by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or by snail mail to: FHANA, 4037 Iron Works Parkway, Suite 160, Lexington, KY 40511-8483
2. The names of horses to be considered for the FHANA Lifetime Achievement Award must be submitted by a current FHANA member, using the Nomination Application, which requires brief essays of why the horse deserves the FHANA Lifetime Achievement Award and how the horse’s career has contributed to the promotion of the Friesian breed. The Nomination Application is due no later than September 1 of the award year.
3. The horse’s owner will promptly be notified by the FHANA office to accurately complete and return the Horse’s Achievement Record no later than November 30 of the award year to the office.
4. The Sport Committee will review and validate the Horse’s Achievement Record and forward that data on to the current FHANA Board of Directors for their review and approval. Board approval is done by ballot with a minimum of five current Board members voting in favor of the nominated horse. The FHANA Board President is eligible to vote in this election.
5. After approval by the current FHANA Board of Directors, the horse’s name, along with its nomination application and achievement record forms will be placed on a ballot to be voted on by all FHANA Chapter Presidents. Chapter Presidents are encouraged to acquire feedback from their individual chapter members and to vote along the wishes of their respective chapters. The vote of Chapter Presidents will require a 66% plurality in favor of the horse’s receiving the FHANA Lifetime Achievement Award.
6. If a horse fails to gain approval per paragraph five after five attempts to be recognized for its Lifetime Achievement, the horse will no longer be accepted for recognition through the Chapter President approval process.
7. After the opportunities per paragraph six have been exhausted, current Board members may be petitioned to vote for a Lifetime Achievement horse in a special election. This vote will require a 66% plurality voting in favor of induction by current Board members. The FHANA Board President is eligible to vote in this election.
8. If petitioning is pursued per paragraph seven, the completed petition must be forwarded to the FHANA office with twenty-five (25) active FHANA Members signatures to be considered for the vote by current Board members.
9. Horses can only be placed into nomination once per calendar year.
10. Chapter President Lifetime Achievement Award voting will be held from December 1 thru December 31 of the same year as nomination.
11. Ballot counting will be performed by a FHANA Board Member, witnessed by a FHANA member, and verified by a second FHANA Board member.
12. Horses receiving Lifetime Achievement recognition will be announced in January of the following year, and the award will be presented either during the FHANA Annual Meeting or at a FHANA convention.
The Lifetime Achievement Award Recognition
1. FHANA Lifetime Achievement horses and their owner(s) will be recognized at the FHANA Annual General Meeting, during the awards banquet, or at a special session during a FHANA convention.
2. The horse’s owner will receive 2 tickets to attend the AGM Awards Banquet to receive the award in person.
An 8.5” x 11” plaque (similar to FHANA’s Hall of Fame plaque) will be hung on the office’s Lifetime Achievement wall and the owner of the horse will receive a personal commemorative plaque.
The Friesian Magazine
The Friesian magazine is a quarterly publication. If you are interested in "Everything" Friesian, then you won't want to miss this opportunity to order the Friesian magazine.